Mead is a statutory town located in Weld County, Colorado. In the 2020 United States Census, the city had a population of 3405.
Mead is located at 40°13′29″N 104°59′19″W and is found about 35 miles from Denver, which is the state capital. According to the United States Census Bureau, the town of Mead has a total area of 4.4 square miles, of which 0.1 square miles is water. The city also sits at an elevation of 1,525 m.
Working And Living in Mead, Colorado
Most residents in the town of Mead own their own homes. The town offers a rural feel to residents, and the beautiful scenery is therapeutic. The community is close-knit and hosts a series of events that bring them together. All the essential amenities are within reach, such as shopping centres, fitness centres, and recreation spaces. The town has a sound security system, and the crime rates in the area are 35% lower than the national average. The school system in Mead is above average, making the town an excellent option to live in if you are raising a family. Some of the popular neighbourhoods in the area are;
- Seven Hills
- Liberty Ranch
- Coyote Run
- Margil Farms
- Lake Ridge Condominiums
Mead offers many job opportunities to prospectors. The growing town has new businesses opening up regularly, and the city generally has a good working environment. If you are looking to start your own business, the town’s administration is beneficial and efficient. Mead has a highly skilled and educated workforce, and most of the residents commute to their places of work in nearby towns such as Fort Collins and Denver. Some of the largest employers around the city of Mead are;
- The Home Depot
- State Farm
- Banner health
Education in Mead
The town of Mead has a wide selection of schools, from public to private. The schools in the area are highly ranked regarding their performance and how well they prepare their students for college education. Most of the schools in Mead are located within the St. Vrain Valley School District. Some of the schools located in Mead are;
- Mead High School – The institution offers a thorough college preparatory curriculum and high-level coursework and is highly ranked in Colorado.
- Mead Elementary School – The school is ranked #218 in the State of Colorado and is trusted by the community to offer good quality education.
- Mead Middle School – Located on Welker Avenue, Mead Middle School runs from sixth to eighth grade and has a qualified team of teachers to deliver quality education and life skills to its students. The school also nurtures talent and is named one of the best in music education.
Some of the colleges and universities in and around Mead are;
- Aims Community College
- Boulder College of Massage Therapy
- University of Northern Colorado
- University of Colorado
Recreation in Mead, Colorado
Mead offers a selection of recreational activities from which you can choose. The town has a friendly population that hosts events and festivals that allows people to interact and have fun. However, the main attractions are located in the surrounding cities and are worth the short commute to reach them. Some of the things you can do and places you can visit while in Mead are;
- Highland lake Church – It is a historic church that was built in 1896. It is a place where visitors glimpse the town’s past and appreciate its history. The church was placed on the National Register of Historic places in 1987. A fun fact about the church is that it was a filming location for Die Hard 2.
- St. Vrain State Park – The park was formerly known as Barbour Ponds and is located seven miles to the south of Mead. The park is widely prevalent among residents and visitors and is open year-round. Some of the activities you can enjoy at the park include camping and bird watching; the park has many bird species, including songbirds and blue heron. Occasionally, you can spot a bald eagle. Fishing can also be carried out in the park, a popular spot for anglers. The park complimentary includes campsites that can handle modern-day rigs and a building dedicated to camper services equipped with showers and eateries. Hikers can enjoy a stroll down the park’s several walking trails while taking in the sights and coming across natural wildlife.
- Mead Sugar Beet Festival – It has been held over the past five years and was started to celebrate sugar beet farming within the community. The festival has grown in size partly due to its family-focused activities. There are free activities for children to enjoy face painting, a petting zoo with cute and mild-tempered animals, and a pedal tractor pull contest. For the grown-ups, activities include the straw bale throw, the skillet toss, and the farm toy auction. The event also has live music ought by local and visiting performing groups. Vendors offer refreshments and foods in booths scattered around the site.
- North Creek Park – It is a well-maintained park that offers a relaxing environment. It is a prime spot if you want to have a picnic without leaving the town. The benches offered are comfortable, and washroom amenities are also available. There are walking trails where you can stretch your legs and burn off some calories as you see the beautiful sights.
Mead, Colorado, is the top residential option due to its sense of community, strong school district, employment opportunities, and the many recreation options available in the area.