The town of Severance is a statutory town in Weld County, Colorado. At the 2010 United States Census, the town’s population was 3,165. The city is on the eastern plains of Colorado to the northwest of Greeley.
Severance has a post office that has been in operation since 1894 making it one of the oldest in the area. Severance is also a site for the widely popular KRKA radio station, which fans can tune in from as far as away as Denver. According to the United States Census Bureau, Severance has an area of around 2.1 square miles, of which 1.1 squares miles is water. The town’s population has been growing steadily from the 1990s when the city only had one hundred people to now being home to over three thousand people. The city has a mixed ethnicity, with most of the population being white.
History Of Severance
The town’s history can be traced back to 1894 when David Severance applied for a post office to serve a community of approximately 50 families, and it was to be named Tailholt. However, the town was named Severance, and it has been that way ever since. Mail for the city of Severance was carried to and from Eaton. It was later changed to Windsor, with the mode of transportation being horseback and buggy. In the 1900s, there was a push to persuade farmers to produce sugar beets in bulk so that a factory to process them would be built in the area. The needed land was pledged, and the farmers increased sugar beet production, causing the factory to be built nearby Windsor. The factory would end up being the Great Western Sugar Company which operated up to 1985. The town of Severance was founded by Bruce Eaton, the son of Governor Benjamin Eaton. And the city was incorporated on November 20, 1920
Working And Living In Severance Colorado
Severance has a workforce that is highly skilled and educated. All employees in the town must conduct themselves in a manner consistent with their core values. Residents also have access to job opportunities in nearby towns and commute to work every morning in towns like Johnstown, Windsor, and Greeley. The cost of living in Severance is 6.9%, slightly above the national average. However, the town is experiencing job growth, meaning more employment opportunities will be available to its residents. The largest employers in and around Greeley are;
- Poudre Valley Hospital
- Banner Health
The hospitality and service industry is comprised of hotels, restaurants, and bars across the town.
Living in Severance offers a mix of rural living and urban living. The town is just 55 miles north of Denver, the state capital of Colorado, giving its residents access to Denver International Airport. The best months in Severance are September, June, and August, while December and January are the most unpleasant due to bad weather. The town sits at an elevation of 4715 ft above sea level, giving it a generally calm environment. The average commute time in Severance is 26 minutes meaning it is relatively easy to get from place to place without being impeded by traffic. The median cost of a decent home in Severance will set you back at 439,400. Residents in this relatively small town are friendly, and the security around the neighbourhoods is good. The area also has access to good schools, which are highly rated, making it the total package if you are raising a family. Hospitals are at hand to ensure the health of you and your loved ones and recreation centres and basic amenities. Some of the popular neighbourhoods in the area are;
- Bridge Hill
- Casa Loma
- Golden Eagle Acres
- Belmont Farms
- Hidden Valley
Schools In Severance, Colorado
Weld County RE4 School District serves the educational needs of Severance. The district is committed to empowering students to meet their full potential in a safe environment that prepares them for college and life. The schools found within the Weld County RE-4 school district are highly ranked based on their scores in statewide exams and how well they prepare their students for college education, among other factors. The teachers are highly qualified in their respective fields, ensuring that your child gets the best quality education possible. Some of the schools that serve the students of Severance, Colorado, are;
- Rangeview Elementary School
- Severance Middle School
- Severance High School
- Windsor High School
- Grandview Elementary School
- Heritage Christian Academy
- Dayspring Christian Academy
- Resurrection Christian University
Recreation In Severance Colorado
Severance has a wide variety of options for recreation centres and activities. For those who do not mind a short drive to nearby cities and towns, more recreation opportunities are opened up which you can explore at your pleasure. Some of the places to visit and things to do while in Severance Are;
- Windsor-Severance Fire Museum – This museum is located on the west end of Broadwalk Park, slightly north of 6th and Ash Street. The museum features beautiful exhibits, including the just-completed pole display. A guided tour through the museum will appreciate the sacrifices and work that firemen and women go through to save livers. The antique fire trucks and other memorabilia showcase firefighting history in the Poudre Valley.
- Pelican lakes Golf Course – It is a famous club among golfers in the area. The course has twenty-seven holes and has more shorelines than any other course in the United States. The course accommodates golfers of all ages and skill levels, and the elevation changes provide a challenge for all who play at the course, therefore, developing their skills.
- Windsor Reservoir – Windsor reservoir is located in Weld County and is a popular spot for bird watchers. The park Attracts birds from the surrounding areas and can be viewed from vantage points, with the best site being at the end of the dam, near the CR74 and CR19 intersection. It is a prime spot, especially for viewing diving ducks and flocks of doves that visit the area and are worth visiting.
- Windsor Community centre – This recreation centre is located near Windsor, offering indoor aquatic facilities like an indoor pool, lazy river, water slide, and a zero-depth entry pool with play features. There is also a fully-equipped Fitness Centre where you can burn off some calories or build some muscle to improve your overall health. The centre also has kid-friendly activities for your little ones and offers childcare services.