Colorado is a place that experiences all climate seasons, and sometimes they tend to be harsh. If you are a resident of Colorado, it is wise to consider shielding your home from extreme weather. From the freezing temperatures of winter, to the scorching summer, you need comfort inside your home. Here are some tips that could guide you in trying to adapt to the weather conditions with satisfaction.
Tips for Weatherproofing During Winter
Winters in Colorado can be very severe, and the cold somehow unbearable. It would be best if you sealed any loopholes that could let in undesirable weather. Also, mitigate adverse effects of freezing on some vital home appliances such as water pipes.
Protect Pipes against Bursting Due to Extreme Freezing
You can achieve this by using different methods, most of which you can apply yourself. For instance, apply heat tapes that will remain connected to the source of electricity throughout. The instructions written by the manufacturer are adequate for the installation guide. You need a current that will keep the pipes optimally warm to prevent freezing.
Install a Thermostat
A smart thermostat will help you save money, and at the same time, it will help you regulate the temperature in your home. Its features enable it to automatically give you heat during winter when you need it- of course, it is subject to your programming. A perfect thermostat can allow you to set temperatures to the level you like, whether or not you are inside the house.
Use Draught Sealing
Seal out the space that brings in cold air through your door by making a draught excluder. here is a list of the Items you will need:
- A piece of material or cloth longer than the width of your door- it should be strong, as it is going on the floor
- Soft toy stuffing or foam. You can get this from maximum craft shops, or you can use old socks or tights and save some coins
- A massive piece of paper to apply as a template
- A tape measure
- Fabric or sharp scissors
- Sewing device or a needle and thread
- Tassels or buttons for decoration
- Measure the door where you want your draught sealing to go. You will need to make it a little bit longer than the width of the door- this will ensure it reaches to the door body and no draughts get past.
- Cut a template from your paper for one facet of your cushion.
- Use the paper pattern to cut out two portions of material – one for every facet of your cushion.
- You may sew any decorations as you wish.
- Put the two portions of fabric to your cushion together, lining them up correctly. Make positive the patterned facet of the cloth is at the interior. Doing so will hide the stitches from view.
- Now start stitching! Keep your stitches approximately 1cm from the threshold of the fabric. Leave an opening so that you can turn the material internal out, leaving the pattern on the outside.
- Stuff your cushion with the foam or other filler. Then sew up the outlet, so it does not come out.
Install Siding to Weatherproof the Exterior of Your House
There are different types of siding that you can choose, including vinyl siding.
Vinyl siding will be one of the most economical materials you can put on the outside of your home. That makes it one of the most widely recognized sorts of materials utilized. Vinyl siding is impenetrable to water and numerous bugs.
The most significant burden is that it can dissolve, consume or break. In high breezes, it can likewise make shaking clamors. Additionally, on the off chance that you are going for an upscale look, vinyl doesn’t have a similar stylish intrigue that other siding materials can convey, and it ordinarily isn’t utilized on more expensive homes.
Protect Your Home against Hail in the Spring
Spring in Colorado can be muddy, do the rain, but that is not even the primary concern. The main concern is hail- it can cause damage and hasten the ageing process of your roof.
- Get a reputable inspector to check the status of your roofing and recommend the right preventive measure.
- Install roofs that are resistant to the impact of hail.
- Fix some shutters on your windows to protect the glass from hail.
Install the Appropriate Flooring Material to Maintain Cool Temperature during the Summer
- Pick wood-like tiles that are better in heat conduction than hardwood. These tiles let out heat faster during winter and are a perfect replacement for hardwood floors. Also, they look just like hardwood, and so you do not lose the desired appearance on your floor.
- Using luxury vinyl that also resembles hardwood- it is sensitive to direct light from the sun in the absence of which, it is a perfect cooling agent.
- In the kitchen or bathrooms, using natural stone, which has a slow rate of attracting heat, maintains a cold temperature throughout.
If you are creative, you can come up with many other ways of weatherproofing your home against diverse weather conditions, which can be quite extreme in Colorado. What you need to consider in the first place, is the structure of your house, availability of materials for the DIY interventions, and your budget. However, the guide above can prove to be very useful.